Thursday, December 08, 2005

Exercise

Let me start this by saying I detest exercise. Any and all forms. Always have. Even when I was young... er younger than I am now. But now I've settled in to middle age and all that accompanies it. I am learning to not take my reasonably good health for granted. So as a family we have all joined the local YMCA.

They have a super facility. A pool, the latest greatest equipment, all computerized and personalized. Tons of cool, fun activities for the kiddos. BUT, did I mention that I hate exercise? Oh yea, I thought I did.

I got myself all set up with the personal trainer who told me what to do to start out. The goal is to not kick my own butt. Slowly build up to the grown-up machines with time. So I had a little test run on Tuesday while they were showing me the ropes. Since for now 3 times a week is sufficient, I went back today. The thought of going loomed over my head all day and taunted me. I was filled with dread. But I have kids who were chomping at the bit to get back to the Y. It's new and all exciting to them. Not so much for me. But, I suck it up and go. Filled to the top with dread. But I got there, got the kids settled and started in. You know what? I kind of liked it. I doubled my time on the stationary bike. Actually did 2 miles. Not so impressive, but you gotta consider where I started! I'm feeling just a little tight this evening. My muscles are protesting just a little. They've become very used to the easy life.

Here's the question. Will I still dread heading off to the Y 3 days a week? I'm guessing so. Maybe just for a few weeks or so. The best part? Katelyn is working out with me. That pushes me in a good way. I'm really proud of her. She's doing great!

So if you see me or talk to me or email me.... ask me if I've been to the Y lately!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mom- have ya been to the Y lately?

LOL
Katelyn