Monday, November 24, 2008

Developing an Attitude of Gratitude

Our sermon yesterday was about having an attitude of gratitude. I'll admit straight up that I'm not very good at that. It is a habit that I really need to develop.

So this weekend was looking like a complete and total disaster. I had a lot of work to do for the business, had a whooping sinus headache, our freezer alarm starts going off (with a freezer FULL of meat I just picked up from Angelfood ministries) and the water heater appears to be on the fritz. I'm thinking about our Pastor's words and really trying to adjust my grumbling attitude. At best I can say that I didn't complain out loud. I went to bed with a very heavy heart last night, but prayed myself to sleep. Do you think God minds when you fall asleep in the middle of a convo? I hope not.

I get up this morning and my sinuses are worse. The freezer alarm is going off and I have a desk full of bills to sort to even see the top of my desk. It could be worse I tell myself. I have a desk. I have a computer. Heck, I've got Facebook even. Pete takes Lilli to school for me. Blessing! He makes me cheese toast=yum! Blessing (so not So. Beach friendly, oh well)! I sort some more. I make a dent. I call the Sears repairman for the freezer. He can come today. Blessing! I make more headway on the paperwork. Blessing!

Then the repairman comes... (cue the music from Jaws). In my freezer (which was alarming at 20 degrees, everything is frozen, but not optimally) I have 3 eleven pound turkeys (2 really cheap from Aldi's, one free from Angelfood), steaks, 10 pounds of chicken breasts, ribs, pork chops, 2 roasts, and much more. I'm not counting the bread, veggies, popsicles, etc. So the repairman comes in, takes a look, mutters, looks in his computer, mutters some more and then proceeds to tell me stuff that sounds like the adults on Charlie Brown cartoons (wah wah wah wah wah). Basically the freezer is shot to heck. It's 7 years old (don't appliances live longer than 5 years anymore?) and will cost more to fix ($1000) than to buy a new freezer. All I can think about is, "What am I going to do with all this food?" We can't eat it all, can't afford to replace it. The food is okay at the moment, but the repairman is shocked that anything is frozen at all. The freezer could breathe its last any second. He's punching part numbers into the computer as fast as his fingers can type and then says, "hmmm.... You still have 4 months left on your service contract". "WHAT??? Huh??? So I don't have to pay the $70 service call fee?" "Um, no... you don't have to pay for the whole repair either, plus you get $250 towards food replacement cost" I think I swooned!

BLESSING!

The repairman (who is now my favorite person in the whole world) tells me I'd better get the expensive stuff into the refrig freezer fast. I'm thinking about those 3 dang turkeys that take up way too much room. So I do what any deperate woman would do. I hand one to the repairman. He was tickled. Hadn't bought a Thanksgiving turkey yet and thought his 9 year old son would be excited to see what he was bringing home. Blessing! Our neighbors next door are in a situation much like us. The dad is self employed in the construction industry and work has been slow for him. The mom just got her hours cut back. Like us (like most of us) it's not the easiest of times. So I pack up a turkey and other random frozen stuff (about 4 bags full). They are excited. Blessing!

Katelyn and I get all the important stuff transferred to the little freezer. It fits too. Blessing!

I am a very rich woman indeed. Thank you God for the real and practical application of yesterday's sermon. I needed that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is too funny, no really my freezer went out while Robin was in Fla and cooked everything to find out the that outlet went bad on that side of the garage. Ha ha

Anonymous said...

anonymous is Pamela Stern from Ga, just incase you did not know,miss you my friend.

Anonymous said...

Yay! My friend Pam! Do you Facebook? You should! I chat away on there. I miss you girl. Are you coming down anytime soon. It's crazy nuts here! How are those boys?