Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Rantings...

Okay... why do people who work with the public have to be mean? Seriously. I know they are human and have lives and problems too. But what about old fashioned courtesy and plain old faking it?

I had to go to a new doctor's office today. I had to fill out about 10 pages of forms that were emailed to me (gotta love modern technology) and were supposed to be completed entirely before my appointment. Check. I did that. Also had to make arrangements for a friend to stay with the kids. Check. And bless her heart she was over at 8am sharp! That's real friendship. Thanks Kimberly! Then I follow their really LOUSY directions that were also emailed to me. Check.. found the stinkin' office. Only to be greeted at a closed window (barely cracked to speak to me after I stood there like a dolt for awhile). Me, "Hi, I'm Shelly D****, I have an 8:45 appointment". Receptionist, "That's 8:45 TOMORROW! I called and left a message for you THIS MORNING, so that means your appt is TOMORROW!" This is all in a tone that implies I have pure mush for brains and am to be greatly pitied. "No," I say. "My appt was on WEDNESDAY (now implying SHE'S the idiot) the 17th. I wrote it down, plus have it in writing in your email. I would not have scheduled a Thursday appt." Barely looking up, the receptionist says, "You must be mistaken, your appt is TOMORROW". I swear I thought she was gonna spell it out for me!

I turn around, embarrassed, and head to my car holding back the tears. Maybe I am crazy. Could I have screwed up that bad?? It's the first week of school and all, my mind has had to work overtime.... Dang. I don't usually blow it that bad. I get home to my blessed computer only to find that the email says WEDNESDAY THE 17TH! So I call the stupid office and the witch of a receptionist back. Of course only to get an inhuman recording. You know the drill. Leave your name and number and we'll get back to you. When they call me back, the receptionist still insists I'm stupid. I say I have proof. I tell her I can't come tomorrow. No babysitter, etc... She says the best she can do is next Wednesday afternoon. Now, I have already waited over 3 weeks for this appt. I explain that my husband is having surgery on Tuesday and I really can't make it then. She tells me if I have such a particular schedule I will have to wait even longer for her to be able to get me in. At that point to avoid swearing in front of my children, I tell her that her office has made a very bad first impression on me and to cancel my appt all together. Her response? Okay. Click.

Many moons ago I too worked for a very busy doctor's office. Fifty doctors in fact. I even on occasion had to schedule appts. for people. Did I ever screw it up? (ie; look at one date and write the patient on another) Oh heck yeah! But was I rude to the innocent patient because I messed up? NO! I would apologize profusely and talk to the doctor to see what could be done. Did this idiot receptionist (Michelle by the way, wish she was reading this) ever offer the slightest apology? Nope. ARGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH! Mean, crotchety, mistake making people who don't apologize suck.

So I'm back at square one. Trying to find a new doctor and waiting a few weeks more for another appt. Remaking all the arrangements. Maybe, maybe not...

Rant over!

No comments: