Tuesday, November 08, 2005

How Can it be November??

Wasn't it summer last week? Now we're breathing down Thanksgiving's neck! And of course you know what that means...... Yup........ Christmas, New Years, the whole slippery slope!

Okay, now that that little panic attack is out of the way. On with my mindless ramblings...

I'm glad Martha Stewart is not coming to my house for Thanksgiving. Forget that she spent a Thanksgiving in jail (at least I think so, didn't she?). My house has to be better than jail! In my heart, I'm a Martha Wannabe. In real life, I'm not a total loser. I'd like things to look nice, be welcoming, and fun. In real life, I get hurried and anxious. My main focus this year is to enjoy myself and for everyone else to do the same. I'm trying to make a plan to achieve that goal. What I don't want is for me and everyone else in my family to blow their top because we are trying too hard to get stupid stuff done in way too little time. In my mind I picture table decorations, placecards, favors, my new heirloom crystal on the table, flowers and candles. Will I get that done? Not likely. And to boot, I'll feel frustrated by that. Nevermind the fact that I'm homeschooling 3 great kids and enjoying the challenges of my 1 year old neice during the work week. What I need to learn most is that I should enjoy what I do get done. Fun, peaceful, and happy memories are much sweeter than floors that can be licked (and not just by the dog) or the perfect placecards. Great times with family and friends is what is important. When the day is done, what will be remembered? The favors, the food, the table setting? Not likely (unless something disasterous happens, and then it is hysterically funny family history!).

So that my friends is November's prayer. To do what I can and be at peace about it. To focus on what really matters. To be thankful, truly thankfull for all the blessings God has given. And His blessings are many.

No comments: